Blackjack is one of the most favored card games. You can easily find it at a live casino online. It’s easy to understand why: the game is simple, has a relatively low house edge, and offers the player the opportunity to use strategy to improve their odds. However, to play blackjack online, you must know the game’s basic rules. These are not complicated, but they are important to play optimally and give yourself the best chance to win.
The Basic Rules of Blackjack
- The object of blackjack is to beat the dealer’s hand by having a hand that totals closer to 21 than the dealer’s without going over 21 (busting).
- Face cards (kings, queens, and jacks) are all worth 10. An ace can be worth 1 or 11, depending on what’s advantageous for your hand. All other cards are worth their face value (2-10).
- The game is played with a regular 52-card deck, but additional decks are used in some casinos. The number of decks used will affect the house edge, so it’s important to know how many decks are used before you begin playing.
- Blackjack is generally played with six or eight decks of cards.
- Players begin by making a bet. One of the dealer’s cards will be face up for all to see, while the others will remain hidden until later in the game. Once all players have made their bets, the dealer will deal two cards to each player and two to himself.
- After the initial deal, players have several options available to them. These include
- Hitting (taking another card),
- Standing (keeping their current hand)
- Doubling down (doubling their bet and taking only one more card)
- Splitting (if they have a pair, they can split their hand into two separate hands)
- Surrendering (giving up half their bet and ending their turn)
- Once all players have made their decisions, the dealer will reveal their hidden card. If they have 16 or fewer, they must hit. If they have 17 or more, they must stand.
- Once the dealer has finished taking their turn, the hands are compared, and any winnings are paid out. The player will win if their hand is closer to 21 than the dealer’s/house. If the dealer’s hand is closer than the player’s, or if the player busts (goes over 21), the player will lose their bet.
It’s important to note that blackjack is a game with a relatively low house edge. This means that over time, players can expect to win slightly more than they lose. However, this doesn’t mean players will win every time they play. In any given session, anything can happen. This is why it’s crucial to have a good bankroll management strategy, so you don’t go bust if you lose a session.
Tips to Increase Your Chances of Winning
There are several things that players can do to increase their chances of winning while playing blackjack at a live casino online.
This is the mathematically optimal way to play every hand, and by following it, you can bring the house edge down to 0.5% or less (depending on the number of decks in use).
Many online casinos offer bonuses for players who sign up and make a deposit. These bonuses can boost your bankroll, giving you more funds to play with and increasing your chances of winning.
Finding Favorable Rules
The most important rule to look for is the dealer’s rule. For example, in most blackjack games, the dealer must hit 16 and stand on 17. However, some games have different rules, such as the dealer must hit on soft 17 (a hand containing an ace that totals either 7 or 17).
If you want to learn more about blackjack and how to win more often, several excellent books and websites can teach you the basics of the game and more advanced strategies. In addition, learning how to play optimally gives you a much better chance of winning when you play blackjack online.