India is a country like no other! There are very few countries or locations in the world that will never cease to amaze and inspire you every time you visit. The same holds true for this magical land and world with gentle sounds of music, the hospitality of its warm-hearted people, and the striking opulence of the monuments that will remain ingrained in your hearts forever. With an enchanting mix of colorful traditions and a plethora of landscapes, this extraordinary land will never cease to amaze you.
Explore holidays in India to get inspired, enlightened, and educated by the incredible country with the decadence of world-class accommodations, historic sites, and adventurous aspects to embark on a journey as an experience of a lifetime. It is no wonder India is often called “Incredible India” because of its rich history, immense diversity, and vibrant culture.
Read on to learn how to spend a memorable month exploring incredible India and make the most of your journey through this extraordinary land.
Week 1- Delhi, Agra and Lucknow
Start your journey with the capital of the country- Delhi, before moving on to Agra and Jaipur.
- Explore the busy markets of Delhi and some of its most iconic landmarks like the Jama Masjid, Red Fort, and Humayun’s Tomb. Take a rickshaw ride through Chandni Chowk and visit the magnificent sites such as Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple, and India Gate.
- Take a short train or bus ride to Agra to admire the architectural marvels, such as the Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, and the world-famous Taj Mahal. Other sites of interest include Itimad-ud-Daulah’s Tomb, Khas Mahal, and Kinari Bazar.
- Travel to Lucknow, which is a multicultural city famous for poetry, music, and beautiful gardens. It is the city of Nawabs who loved fine cuisine, art, and architecture. Some sites of interest include Bhool Bhulaiya, Bara Imambara shrine, Victorian Husainabad Clock Tower, and Rumi Darwaza.
During the week, learn about northern Indian food, culture, and history and enjoy the treats in a local market.
Week 2- Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur
Continue your journey towards Rajasthan to visit and explore the famous cities of Jaipur, Jodhpur, and Udaipur.
- Spend a day or two at Jaipur, the Pink City, to visit the majestic Amer Fort, Hawa Mahal, and City Palace. Commonly referred to as the “Pink City,” it is the capital of Rajasthan and boasts gardens, courtyards, and museums.
- Jodhpur, located in northwest Rajasthan, is famous for its 15th-century Mehrangarh Fort, which is located on a rocky outcrop. Well known as the ‘Blue City,’ what makes it a favorite vacation destination are plentiful interesting sites and things to do.
- Udaipur, located on the western side of Rajasthan, is noted for a series of artificial lakes and lavish royal residences. Visitors come here to admire the City Palace with its courtyards, gardens, and Lake Pichola.
Explore the bubbly Rajasthan cities with historical richness, local attractions, and the local Rajasthani cuisine.
Week 3 – Varanasi, Rishikesh and Haridwar
It is time to move on to experience the spiritual heart of India and fly to Varanasi. From here, you can take a ride to Rishikesh and Haridwar.
- Get ready to enjoy the profound cultural and spiritual experience at Varanasi that dates back to the 11th century B.C. You can bathe in the sacred waters of the Ganges and visit the Kashi Vishwanath Temple. Explore the narrow alleys of this ancient city and remember to take a boat ride at sunrise.
- Head north to Rishikesh, which is world famous as the Yoga Capital of the World. Here, you can spend some time learning yoga and indulge in adventure activities such as white-water rafting. Located in the Himalayan foothills, the city is famous for its Temples and ashrams.
- Haridwar, which is a nearby city, will offer you a glimpse into Hindu rituals. Here, you will come across Har Ki Pauri, where you can enjoy the Ganga Aarti every night. The ancient city is an important Hindu pilgrimage site and is the location of the famous Chandi Devi Temple.
Make the most of your vacation and look forward to a spiritual trip infused with some adventure.
Week 4 – Goa, Bengaluru and Alleppey
It is time to enjoy India’s northern and southern contrasts and explore some amazing cities such as Goa, Bengaluru, and Alleppey.
- Fly towards the southwestern side of India to reach Goa, which is a tropical paradise with stunning beaches and vibrant nightlife. You will love to explore the Portuguese-influenced architecture and sample some delicious seafood, Goan curry, and more.
- Bengaluru, the silicon city of India, is also known for its famous parks and vibrant nightlife. Some amazing sites of interest include Bangalore Palace, Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace, and Lalbagh Botanical Garden.
- Conclude your journey in Kerala and explore the Kerala Backwaters or Alleppey. Enjoy a houseboat cruise through the serene waters of Alleppey that will take you through the lush greenery under the guidance of an expert. Get useful information about backwater houseboats as a responsible traveler.
Savor the southern Indian cuisine flavors and visit different spice plantations to learn about the region’s aromatic spices.
Some useful tips when exploring India
- Consider booking in advance due to the heavy rush and a more convenient and enjoyable experience. Take advantage of the extensive network of well-connected roads, railways, and flights.
- Enjoy the diverse and incredibly delicious Indian cuisine and try out local specialties in each region. Whether it is fine dining or local street food, be ready to experiment, but at the same time, be cautious with street food and always drink bottled water.
- Dress modestly when visiting temples, as India is known for respecting religious traditions. Remove your shoes before entering any religious site to show cultural respect.
- Be careful with your belongings, especially when traveling in crowded places. Traveling with a money belt or pouch is a good idea to keep your money and other important documents safe.
- While English is widely spoken in the country, it helps to learn and speak a few basic Hindi sentences to communicate freely with the locals, especially in rural regions.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance and visit purchasing travel insurance. It is strongly advised to keep some basic medications handy to avoid waterborne illnesses.
As you can see, it is indeed going to be an incredible month exploring India, which is a land of contrasts. The transformative journey with a myriad of experiences based on an unforgettable tapestry of diverse experiences is sure to leave an enduring mark on your heart and soul. Remember that you will be on a voyage of self-discovery and cultural enlightenment as you spend a month exploring incredible India.